The New Zealand Official Year Book 1919; Defenders of New Zealand. Microfilm publication, 2 rolls. Anne Bromell Collection, BAB microfilming. Auckland, New Zealand.
This collection provides an index of individuals from New Zealand who were awarded medals, decorations, or other honors for military service, between 1860 and 1919. The medal rolls were compiled from The New Zealand Official Yearbook (1919) and Defenders of New Zealand (1887), and may not contain a complete list of all military medals and honors awarded to New Zealanders who served between 1860 and 1919. The index is part of the first collection of World War 1 military records from New Zealand to be published on our site.
During this period, between 1860 and 1919, there were 3 major conflicts in which New Zealanders fought. Along with the British Army New Zealand volunteers and militia fought during the New Zealand War of 1860 to 1870, ten contingents from New Zealand were sent to South Africa to fight with British forces during the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, and during World War I the New Zealand Expeditionary Force was formed to fight alongside the British and Australian forces. Indexes of those awarded medals for their service are contained in this collection.
The following medals or honors are included in this index:
- Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM), awarded to non-commissioned officers for bravery
- Distinguished Service Order (DSO), generally awarded to officers ranked Major and higher for distinguished war service li>
- Imperial Service Order, awarded on retirement to the administration and clerical staff of the Civil Service throughout the British Empire for long and meritorious service li>
- Meritorious Service Medal (MSM), awarded for distinguished service or gallantry, principally by non-commissioned officers li>
- Military Cross Medal (MC), awarded to commissioned officers of Captain and below, as well as Warrant Officers, for valour during active operations li>
- Military Medal, awarded to non-commissioned officers for bravery in land battle li>
- The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George, an order of chivalry appointed to individuals who had rendered important services in relation to the Commonwealth or foreign nations
- The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, an order of chivalry appointed to individuals for civil or military merit
- The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, generally awarded to senior military officers and senior civil servants
- New Zealand Cross, awarded for gallantry to members of local volunteer forces during the New Zealand Wars
- New Zealand Medal, awarded to volunteers and militia from New Zealand who fought with the British Army during the New Zealand War of 1860–70
- Royal Red Cross, awarded for exceptional services in military nursing
- Victoria Cross Medal (VC), awarded for valour in the face of the enemy
- Miscellaneous Foreign Decorations & Medals